2009. február 23., hétfő

Printing


During tutorial time I agreed that the size of my prints should not be dictated by the size of the light-boxes which are at my disposal, however, I have also stated that I will not be able to judge what size my prints should be until I have seen some prints. As such I have made my first print to the size of a 60cm x 100cm light box which I already had access to.

In my previous entry I stated that I might want to use natural-light bulbs to replicate daylight, however here the yellow tones are complimented by the regular light tubes inside the box. What I wanted to avoid by using natural-light tubes was associations with shop signs or advertising boards, but I feel here the light works with the tone of the print.

I was made aware, by one of the university’s photography technicians, of some technical problems I might face with some of the images I have taken on the compact digital camera I have been using. These issues revolve around the way JPEG files are compressed when saved and in real terms will put limits on how large I can print some of my images before they become grainy. In tutorial time with Graham Giles we discussed how a grainy quality would suit some of my images such as this one, however there are others which I may have to consider printing smaller. This raises the question of the effect of presenting large and small pieces together; does it imply one is superior? This is another question I think I will only really discover after printing some more images.

During tutorial time we also entertained the idea of the light-boxes as windows. The light coming from behind the images does give this impression as well as the glossy image resembling glass, however the scenes themselves in terms of form and tone again subvert this realism. To exhibit these in a gallery space then, would be to create a series of windows with peculiar views; they are real scenes taken out of context and re-presented.

Nincsenek megjegyzések: