2010. szeptember 20., hétfő

Further Experiments with Multiple Exposures








After my initial experiments with multiple exposures I took my Wide Pic Panoramic camera on holiday with me; this was when I realised that the Wide Pic Panoramic is not really designed for rewinding a frame at a time. I lost half a roll of film attempting to create some double exposures when the teeth stopped winding the film on. It seems I was lucky when I created my initial multiple exposures at Anglia Square and would have to re-think my work process. These new images were created by exposing the whole roll of film, rewinding it completely and then exposing it a second time.

I have said before that the equipment I am using takes a lot of control away from the artist; fixed shutter speed and aperture, a machine in the chemist prints my images automatically. Exposing the entire film twice in this manner also means I have no control over which images are overlapped, or even if the frames lie cleanly over the top of one another, indeed some of the images have two overlaps. The resulting images could perhaps be described as para-surrealist; the loss of control providing free associations between frames. And while perhaps not ‘semi-conscious’ image making, I tried as much as possible to free myself of as much responsibility as possible. To this end my only concerns were finding compositions with strong horizontal lines to complement the ‘panoramic’ view, providing a vague uniformity in the images so that where they overlap they would hopefully complement one another, and also to try not to take the same photo twice.

Some of these images are more successful than others – echoes in shapes and overlapping text for example are very pleasing – but I still feel the images are a series, regardless of whether or not one is stronger than the other. I have been given the opportunity to exhibit some of my work in an empty shop unit in Anglia Square as part of the Magdalen Street Celebration and would like to exhibit a series of images. There is an unconscious relationship between the overlapped exposures in the individual images, the next stage is to find a way in which to arrange these chance pairings as a collective group.

Nincsenek megjegyzések: