2008. december 15., hétfő

Rooftops, rain and a Wall












I have been fortunate with the weather this week. The light has been excellent yet at the same time the sky has been overcast, as a result of this I have a bright, bleached sky in my images. I feel this complements my themes perfectly and does not detract attention from what my images are really about; these faceless yet lyrical and ambiguous locations. In addition to this I managed to miss the rain, but the floor was still wet, which has given this set of images an excellent glossy quality. I think these will look excellent presented on a light box, this has become something I have been taking into consideration as I make my images. Another thing I think is worth mentioning about these images is that I was accompanied by a friend of mine, Sarojini Lewis who is a BA Photography graduate. It was good to be out working with somebody again so that there was a person to bounce ideas off, assess whether an image was working and look for locations with. I have mentioned earlier in this blog that I feel I work best when I have somebody to discuss my work with and I intend on working with Sarojini again in the coming weeks. In editing these images in Photoshop I have begun to adjust the Red, Green and Blue levels separately and then the brightness and contrast, whereas before I would edit the layers as one. This is to better replicate the darkroom process and I think there is a richer depth of tone in these more recent images than some of my earlier work.


I have also rather belatedly been looking at the work of Jeff Wall (above). I found his work disconcertingly similar in terms of tone, composition and the vacancy of much of his work. The Tate Modern website describes these types of images as a “quieter mode of engagement” Wall takes his work a lot further than mine however; the image below is a composite of approximately 75 images taken over three locations to meticulously structure something which has a poetic candour, yet seems to be an everyday scene. This relates to my earlier entries regarding the construction of images being treated the same as the construction of poetry, Wall has chosen his elements carefully. The images used to make this scene were likely to have been similar, but the better parts of each has been used to make the perfect composition in much the same way a poet might use a thesaurus. This kind of experimentation is premature for my work at the moment, I feel I need to continue defining my themes and find a way to make the best use of the light box I have, but I will bear this in mind for later development.

Nincsenek megjegyzések: